Gaithersburg, MD 20877 (301) 355-5007

Want Is Needed to Drive the Big Rigs?

What Is CDL Training?

Driving or using certain commercial vehicles does require special skills and knowledge. Before the

Commercial Driving License

was brought into force, almost anyone that had a valid driver license could legally drive a tractor-trailer or bus in various states. In places where there was a classified licensing system available, students were not tested on vehicles to the ones they would use. Because of this, there were many drivers that were using vehicles they were not qualified to drive.

Why does one need a CDL?

The Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act was signed on October 27, 1986. The aim of this was to improve road safety by making sure drivers of the big rigs and buses are fully qualified to use these vehicles, in addition, to remove any unqualified drivers off the highways.

The FHWA or The Federal Highway Administration has created and given standards for testing and licensing big commercial vehicle drivers. In addition, the standards call for every state to issue a Class A CDL to drivers of commercial motor vehicles, only after they have passed tests given by the state on the kind of vehicle operated. Drivers must have a CDL license when they work interstate, intrastate, or with foreign commerce.

How does an A CDL and a B CDL differ?

According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, the standard calls for states to issue a CDL only to drivers with the following license classifications:

Class A CDL Training is any vehicle that has a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, providing the GVWR of the vehicle being towed is more than 10,000 pounds. Jobs which need a Class A CDL can include:

A driver working interstate and operating a

tractor-trailer or an intrastate tractor trailer operator.

If you are looking for

CDL training

locally, then call Cdl Training - Mr. George's Driving School in Gaithersburg, MD today, on (301) 355-5007.